Developing Your Personal Brand Map, Part 2: Earning a PhD in YOUGwen Witherspoon
What are the qualities of a map?
You are self-reliant. You are a builder. You are an innovator. You are a self-starter. You are motivated to make a difference, to make a change. What is it about a map that is helpful?
- Title – A succinct description or distinct descriptive text of the subject matter
- Direction – A compass is the most important instrument for navigation. It helps you find your way when your vision is obscured.
- Dimension – Maps have layers to them. With regard to your personal brand, you are not a one-dimensional being. There’s more happening in you than what’s on the surface. There’s just so much to building who you are, to defining that, and to developing in a meaningful way. Your maps should include a grid that you’re going to use to build your personal brand.
- Legend – The symbols, color keys, and markings on a map. Your personal brand map needs to have some kind of a legend that helps you understand how it works.
- Distance – Speaks to scale and timeframes. You need to set goals and objectives and identify resources to help you get a framework for how far you are from where you are going. May I challenge you to take a more sober look at time? Do not be intimidated by long timeframes (or even by short ones). Instead, learn how to skillfully and confidently apply principles to create your personal brand map. You can learn how to just be able to plan, imagine, and think about time in a different way.
- Labels – Help you understand where you are in the scope of it all.